|Review by Jonna Sima published in the Swedish newspaper Expressen
on July 30th 2003.|
CHIC performed at the Stockholm Jazz
Festival on Tuesday night at 10:15 PM, July 29th 2003
DISCO LEGENDS CHIC SHARE'S THE SWEETEST TREASURES
OF POP MUSIC
Rating: 3 of 5
- Exactly a week after the Rolling Stones concert hat
trick in Stockholm the disco band Chic arrives at the Jazz Festival.
- Chic's importance to modern pop music and its branches
such as hip hop and dance music is as significant as that of the Rolling
Stones to rock music. Chic's songwriting duo Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards
can easily be compared to Jagger/Richards, McCartney/Lennon and, why not
todays Williams/Hugo in the Neptunes?
- Rodgers is the only one left from the original 70s
band set. But that doesn't seem to matter much. You never get that soiled
cover band feeling, despite the fact that disco classic after disco classic
are performed. "Le Freak", "Upside Down", "Good
- Frankly, jovial Rodgers has written some of pop history's
- But, despite having played the songs thousands of
times, he performs them with such dignity and power that one gets even
more convinced that he's presenting some of pop music's sweetest treasures.
(translated by pocat)